Saturday, April 5, 2008

REVIEW: NiGHTS into dreams...

Title: NiGHTS into dreams...
Format: PlayStation 2 (JAPAN)
Published: SEGA
Developed: Sonic Team
Players: 1
Genre: Adventure








Recently, "NiGHTS - Journey of Dreams" got released on Nintendo's Wii. It took about 12 years for SEGA to make a sequel for the Sega Saturn-classic. Now comes the original game in a new package. Oddly enough, for the PlayStation2-system! Actually, it's a remake/port of the 1996 SegaSaturn game that amazed the Saturn-gamers before the console kissed goodbye in a favor for Sony's PlayStation. Now, 12 years later, it reappears with shining graphics which I will talk about it later. Right now, it's a Japan-only release. (It means it might not show up here in US or Europe) But luckly, I had it for a while ago. So let's see...
THE STORY
There are two characthers you're taking control of. The one is Claris Sinclair who likes to sing and wanted to be a star, but is afraid of sining infront of a audition. And Elliot Edwards who likes to play basketball with his friends, but fears for returning the favors against the elders. These fears are recreated in their dreams when they sleeps. However, once they come to a beautiful landscape, they see NiGHTS locked up and help him/her* out by defeating several Nightmarens. In favor, NiGHTS helps them to overcome their fears in the real world.
THE GAMEPLAY
I haven't played the original game for Sega Saturn, since I didn't see that fucking console in Norway! (and a BIG reasson why it didn't succeded that time) But after reading some of the fans' comment on the original game, it was wonderful. The one I'm playing is the same. And I can understand why they enjoyed this game, too. It's really fun and you don't have to understand Japanese neither. Most of the menues are in English (while the messages are in Japanese) which are fine by me. It took a little time for me to realise what I'm going to do. But I have heard how it was played. Let's take what I've heard first: You control NiGHTS and you gonna link-chain those circles. That's what I know. (when I was about 12 or 13, that is...) And now, what I know today: You take first control of Claris (or Elliot, for that matter) and guide her to NiGHTS. However, the enemies takes away those glowing spheres from you, except one sphere. After that you go to NiGHTS and take control of him/her. You fly around the course till you have gathered a certain amount of blue spheres and got the glowing spheres from the enemy. After 4 courses, you take on the boss. At first, you act like a n00b not knowing how the hell you defeat them. But it comes to a thought how to find a weak spot on that boss. It might sound like a short game, and it does. With 8 stages (4 courses each stage) there's still something to do. Like trying to get a high score (*sigh* what good old day it was...) or playing "Cristmas NiGHTS" (!?) Okay, okay! It doesn't sound so good when you're playing a Christmas-themed NiGHTS in the begining of April (and it's not even a April Fools-joke, either), but there's other things to play, too.
THE GRAPHICS
The graphics of this game is... kinda mixed... Really, I've seen better PS2-games that can handle much better. (like God of War 1 and 2, Kingdom Hearts 2, Soul Calibur 3, and so on) But it's a decent one. And why on earth SEGA decided to add the SegaSatrun mode in this game is beyond my mind. The "SegaSaturn-mode" means it has the graphics of the original game. (reassoned why I called it a "remake/port" of this game in the first place) Intresting for those who wanted to know the game REALLY came out. But there are something that bug the shit out of me is the character movements. It's just like I'm playing this game on a PSOne or a extremely crappy game on the PC. It feels like I'm getting a Dejà-vu from hell and thinking "Holy shit! Did I played that game on PS1? What the fuck were I on? Drugs?" For a port, it's okay. But for a remake, why the hell? A remake doesn't deserve to have a crappy movesets (ask "Resident Evil" for GameCube. It knows how it feels!) But I don't use the Saturn-mode in this game, so I'm gonna rate the graphics on the one I always plays on.
THE SOUND
I really can't say much here... But with the surround, they sounds okay for me. All the sounds are from the original game. Which are good, too.
THE CONTROL
I'm really not looking forward to this one. I've heard from others that the DualShock2-controller feels not so good to steer NiGHTS. And it seems like the rumors are true: It DOESN'T feel good at all. First time I played it, it was a pain to my thumbs to controll this freak. (no offense!) The button layout is fine, but I think they could have tweaked the steering of this game as well. Luckly, it comes over in a time when you got used to it. But be prepeared... it's not easy to control him/her!
THE MISSING
Of course, any kind of games, new and old ones, are missing something that could send this game to gaming heaven. That is what the original game had back there. Like the 2-player mode, Time Attack and what came along with "Christmas NiGHTS", "Sonic the Hedgehog into dreams"! And it's kind of sad, I was really looking forward to play that part (the Sonic-part), where you ran through the Christmas course and was going to face Dr. Eggman (acting like he's Puffy, the one who looks like a fat balloon. Which suits him perfect, btw) The only intresting thing so far, is the internal clock system which changes the game layout. Take one example: Start your PS2-system without the disc (or the eject tray open) and set the date to 1st April (Man, I sould have posted this shit back there), start the game, choose 1st stage of Claris (and not Elliot) and you will play as Reala (one of the badguys) and fight against NiGHTS him-/herself. That's just one of them. Probably more, but I don't know...
THE CONCLUSION
I've played several retro-games, really. But when it comes to this one, It's not so bad after all. I heard great things about the original game, so those NiGHTS-fans (with a JPN-PS2 system) might want this one. Others are a little unsure about it. (especially those who haven't played or heard about SegaSaturn or NiGHTS, other than the camoes in Sonic Riders-series) But for a (retro)gamer like me, it's worth buying it. Especially the Nightopian Dream Pack, which comes with a illustration book along. My final word: A good game if your weekends sucks and have a imported PS2!


Gameplay: 7/10
Grapics: 6/10
Sound: 7/10
Controll: 4/10

FINAL SCORE: 6/10

No comments: